Visiting St. Lucia? 10 Travel Tips for a Smooth Experience
Visiting St. Lucia is an experience unlike any other. Here, we offer ten excellent tips to help you ensure that your trip runs smoothly from start to finish, leaving you free to relax and create memories that will last a lifetime.
- Let Your Bank and Credit Card Companies Know You’re Traveling- In a world where financial institutions are working to keep your identity safe, making them aware of your plans to travel to St. Lucia can prevent accidental freezes on your accounts or fraud alerts.
- Copy Important Documents- From your passport to your boarding passes, you should always make photocopies of important travel documents and keep them in a separate location from the originals. Carrying one copy in your purse or carry-on and one in your luggage is recommended, and it can also help to maintain a copy in your email.
- Turn On International Data- One thing many St. Lucia travelers forget is that cell phone companies can charge big fees for international calls and data usage. Turning on international data and calling features can save you big money for only a small daily fee.
- Compare Prices on Everything- From rental cars and airport transfers from UVF to flights on and off the island of St. Lucia, comparing prices can save you a surprising amount of money. Consider using Airbnb and utilizing travel sites for the best St. Lucia airfare prices.
- Consider Off-Peak Travel- If you have the opportunity to travel at any point in the year, you can save a great deal of money by traveling outside of St. Lucia’s peak season. Resorts and attractions are still open, but often at steep discounts, and because St. Lucia is in the Caribbean, the weather is still stunningly beautiful.
- Make a List of What to Pack- One of the most common unforeseen travel expenses is purchasing things that you forgot to pack. While you aren’t likely to forget your boarding pass or passport, you want to think about what you will need during your time in St. Lucia. Planning to visit the beaches? Consider towels, swimwear, and sunscreen. Want to explore the Pitons or the rain forest? Bring sturdy hiking shoes. Don’t forget phone chargers and toiletries as well!
- Efficient Packing is Key- While you want to bring everything you need with you to St. Lucia, efficiency can save you money and hassle. Roll your clothes to save space in your luggage for St. Lucia souvenirs, and make sure to keep things like medication and travel documents on your person or in a purse or carry-on.
- Plan in Advance- St. Lucia is packed with things to see, do, and experience. If you have a number of things you want to enjoy during your time on the island, take the time to set a basic itinerary. Look at where things are located and the time to reach them and organize your trip so that you have the time (and energy) to see and do it all!
- Book in Advance- One of the best ways to save money while ensuring a smooth St. Lucia travel experience is to book in advance. From your Airbnb or resort to flights, rental cars, airport transfers, and even tours, booking in advance can make sure that the things you want are available when you need them and can give you a good idea of how much you should budget for your trip.
- Memorize the Basics- Last, a great St. Lucia travel tip is to memorize or write down the basics of your trip. This includes the name and number of your resort, hotel or rental villa, the number to a reliable taxi or rental car company, the name of the airport with flight departure times, and your general itenirary. It is easy to get turned around in an unfamiliar setting and even though most St. Lucia natives speak fluent English, it can help to know some key terms in case you get lost.