St. Lucia Airport FAQ - Find our frequently asked UVF questions below
Airport FAQ. Find our frequently asked questions below
What Is the Airport Code for Hewanorra International Airport?
- The airport code used to designate Hewanorra International Airport is UVF.
Is Hewanorra International Airport the Only Airport Serving St. Lucia?
- No. There are two airports in St. Lucia. The island is also home to the smaller George F.L. Charles Airport in Castries. This smaller airport handles inter-Caribbean flights, while Hewanorra handles international flights as well as much larger planes.
Does St Lucia Have an Airport?
- Yes, we most certainly do. Two of them actually.
What is the name of St Lucia's main airport?
- The main airport on island is Called Hewanorra International Airport (IATA: UVF, ICAO: TLPL), Located in Vieux Fort.
What Airlines Provide Flights to Hewanorra International Airport?
- When it comes to passenger travel, there are many airports providing service to Hewanorra International Airport.
- Air Canada, Air Transat, and American Airlines all provide service to the island's largest airport, as well as British Airways, CanJet, and Caricom Airways. Condor, Delta Airlines, and JetBlue Airways provide flights to Hewanorra International Airport, as do Sunwing Airlines, Thomas Cook Airlines, United Airlines, and US Airways.
Have There Ever Been Any Major Accidents at Hewanorra International Airport?
- There has only ever been a single incident at the airport, and it took place in February of 1979. A Boeing that was operating a charter flight that had originated in Toronto was met with a wind shear while making its approach to the airport. The plane had to halt its descent, but as it passed the wind shear, the nose hit the runway and bounced. While the nose landing gear of the plane was destroyed, there were no fatalities and only minor injuries reported.
How Big Is Hewanorra International Airport?
- Servicing more than half a million St. Lucia travelers and visitors annually, Hewanorra International Airport currently has a single runway, running east to west, that is connected by two taxiways. There are plans in the works, however, to construct a new, larger terminal building as well as to widen the airport's runway. Estimates show that by the year 2017 as many as 800,000 passengers will be served by the airport every year!
How Far Is Hewanorra International Airport from My Resort?
- Flights to St. Lucia via Hewanorra International Airport put you on the island's southern tip, but the ride to your resort won't be too long. For example, shuttle service from St. Lucia airport to Morgan Bay Resort takes only about 60 minutes by car. If you are staying at Coconut Bay, airport transfer takes only about five minutes. Sandals Resorts is located about 120 minutes away from Hewanorra International Airport.
How Will I Get from Hewanorra International Airport to My Villa or Resort?
- Getting to St. Lucia is always exciting, but you must also decide how you want to get from the airport to your accommodation. St Lucia taxi services are the most commonly used option, and they can be a great way to get to your resort if you know what to look for and do some homework. It is important, however, to realize that taxis in St. Lucia are not metered and that companies can charge you as they see fit. Because of this, it is important to choose a St. Lucia car hire that is reputable and that offers a reasonable flat fee up front.
- Of course, taxis aren't your only option. You can also choose a car rental from St. Lucia airport or a St. Lucia airport shuttle service. If you are looking for a quality shuttle, your best bet is certainly to go with a private, local airport transfer company. A quality service will meet you as soon as you clear customs and will provide a local driver who knows the island well and who will treat you courteously and even let you stop for photos if you so desire.
- Last, if you are feeling really adventurous, you can opt for a St. Lucia helicopter transfer. Available only during daylight hours, these transfers are a great way to see the island from a vantage point that few travelers ever experience while getting to your destination safely and comfortably.
Cost of cab ride or taxi service from Hewanorra Airport?
- Cab rides from UVF Airport to Hotels in the north of the island Such as Sandals, St. James Morgan Bay, Smugglers Cove, Body Holiday etc. costs depend on the type of service you're looking for. Be it private, shared or luxury transport. Free quotes are readily available from a variety of cab services.